Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Choosing a New Puppy

Logan and Holly at 12 weeks

Dog owners choose to add a puppy to their pack for numerous reasons. Some have an elderly dog and miss having a youthful active dog, some need a working dog for a specific task, and others just get the periodic puppy itch. In my case, a good friend offered me a free purebred German Shepherd pup. After the initial excitement of realizing I would be getting a puppy within a few weeks, it hit me, I had a lot preparing to do.

Anytime you bring home a new dog you must think about all of the getting a new dog questions as mentioned in my first post Tips on How to get the Perfect Dog for You; but it is much more complicated when you are adding a new dog to your existing dog pack. The first thing to think about when adding a new puppy to your pack is, "Will this breed match the breed(s) of my other dog(s)?" When considering a different breed you should think of temperament, size, and energy level. It is a bad idea to bring home a high energy dog, when you have a low energy anxious dog at home, or vice versa. It is also better to match dog sizes, especially when the smallest dog is anxious and might become fearful of the larger dog. My current dog, Logan, is a German Spitz Mittel. He is a medium size dog with medium to high amounts of energy, and a slightly anxious disposition. German Shepherds are large, known to have about medium to high energy, and a calm disposition. I would say that so far it sounds like the two breeds will not clash, but that is not enough.

The next step is thinking of your current dog's personality. Just like people, dogs can have varying personalities that are affected by their genes, their owners, and how they experienced their own puppyhood. Logan is a dominant dog who tends to get along well with submissive dogs. Logan has trouble meeting new dogs that are high in energy, aggressive,  and dogs that are much larger then him. Knowing this, I must make sure that the puppy I bring home does not show signs of dominance or agression. Puppies display dominance and aggression by biting the legs of their litter mates as they walk or try to get away, pouncing on and pinning other puppies, and growling at others who come too close when they are eating. When I pick up my puppy I will have to spend some time watching them interact and talk to the owners about what they have observed.

No comments:

Post a Comment